If your child has an IEP or 504 Accomodation Plan (for more than 6 months) and has attended public school for at least one year, they can receive funding to attend a private school.
What do I need to do to get the McKay Scholarship for my child?
- Visit the Florida School Choice website
- Click Parent Login in the left column
- Click Student Intent in the middle of the page
- Click Apply for a McKay Scholarship in the left column
- Fill out the form
Once you have filed for intent, you can check on your child's intent status to make sure it is in the system. Click here for more information on what to do after filing for intent for the McKay Scholarship. It is important to keep the McKay Scholarship deadlines in mind for each quarter when you are trying to determine when to enroll your child in a private school. More information on the steps for filing for intent, parental responsibilities and deadlines, can be found here.
How can I find out the amount of funding my child is eligible to receive?
The matrix rating determines the amount of funding your child is eligible to receive. You can find it at the top right corner of your child's IEP. You can also find your child's matrix rating via the Florida School Choice website once your child's intent is active. Your child's matrix rating can range from 251 - 255; the higher the number, the higher the funding.
The funding levels change annually. The amounts are determined by July of each year. Click here for the current McKay Scholarship Funding Levels.
Once you know your child's matrix rating, you can figure out how much funding they are eligible to receive to attend the private school of your choice.
- If your child's matrix rating is 251, 252, or 253, their funding is also dependent upon grade level.
- On the McKay Scholarship Funding Levels sheet, the numbers in the second row are listed as: "ESE Level 1," "ESE Level 2," and "ESE Level 3," for each set of grades. These correspond to the matrix ratings 251, 252, and 253.
- ESE Level 4 and ESE Level 5 correspond to the matrix ratings 254 and 255. These matrix ratings are not associated with grade level.
- On the McKay Scholarship Funding Levels sheet, counties are listed down the left side.
- Find the county where your child last attended public school.
- Look across the row to match up with appropriate ESE Level and grade level (for matrix ratings 251-253)
It is important to ensure that your child's IEP is accurate prior to withdrawal from the public school system. Your child's IEP needs to relect all of the needs and services he/she requires in order to maximize the amount of funding he/she is eligible to receive. Once your child begins to attend a private school, the matrix rating cannot be increased. The only way for the IEP to be changed and the matrix rating to be increased is for your child to reenroll in public school for a full year.
Please do not hesitate to call or email our school administrator, Beth Spear, at (850)325-6301 or Beth@progressivepediatric.org if you have other questions about the McKay Scholarship.
Files & Documentsclick to download
McKay Scholarship 2012-2013 Funding Per Student [19.27 KB]